Description

Sanctuary of Athena

This is one of the most characteristic sights on Delphi archaeological site. The Dome catches the interest of all those visiting the Sanctuary of Athena Pronaia, located between the temple of Athena and the sanctuary of Massalioton.

The interesting circular building dates back to around 380 BC, constructed by the architect Theodoros of Fokaia or Fokida (who wrote a book on how to rebuild the Dome). The Dome is a typical example of classical architecture with exterior columns decorated with friezes depicting scenes from the batlles of the Centaurs and of the the Amazons.

It was constructed from various materials including marble from Penteli and Paros, limestone from Elefsina (blue and dark green). Partial restoration of the Dome was done in 1938 and surviving relics of the decoration are on display in the Delphi Archaeological Museum.

SEASONALITY
Open all year round
WORKING DAYS/HOURS
Daily: 08.00-15.00 (last admission: 14.40)
PRICE
€6, €3 (reduced), Single Ticket (Delphi, Delphi Archaeological Museum): €9, €5 (reduced)
ACCESSIBILITY
Yes

ALSO IN THIS AREA