Located between Pireos, Ermou and Asomaton streets, the Kerameikos archaeological site is a small section of the ancient Kerameon municipality, one of the largest of ancient Athens in the north west of the city. As we understand from the name, this was the area where the potters and vase painters of Athens were situated for the production of famous vessels.
Over time, it was used as a burial ground and for about 15 consecutive years was the most significant necropolis of ancient Athens. The earliest tombs date back to the Early Bronze Age (2700-2000 BC), while the continuous expansion of the cemetery started during the sub-Mycenaean period (1100-100 BC) onward. The uninterrupted use of the site is noted in the Hellenistic period up until the early Christian times (between 38 BC and 6th century AD).
The Athens Archaeological Society began excavating the site in 1870. In the years that followed, the Germans, A. Brueckner and F. Noack, made significant contributions and from 1913 onward, the German Archaeological Institute took over.
The archaeological site includes part of the Themistocleon Wall, Dipilo and Sacred Gates, the Pompeion, the graveyard and Hegeso column.