Few minutes away from Syntagma, at one of the most central points of the city, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens is one of the most photographed buildings.
Nowadays it is the venue for the graduation ceremonies of the new University, that now is located at Zografou (Campus) and is the second biggest university of the country, regarding the number of students.
Historically, Athens University was founded in May 1837 by King Otto and since then it has never stopped its operation. It was initially housed at the residence of the architect Stamatis Kleanthis at Plaka, where today is housed the University Museum (5, Tholou Street, tel. +30 210 3689502-5, 210 3240861) and it was named Othonian University in honour to its founder. It was the first university both in the modern Greek State and in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
It moved to its current location in 1841. The building is designed by the Danish architect Christian Hansen and decorated by the painted Karl Rahl and along with the adjacent buildings of the National Library (on the left) and the Athens Academy (on the right) they are the famous architectural trilogy of Athens.