The church of Panagia Kapnikarea is located in the middle of the bustling Ermou Street in the commercial center of Athens. Built on the ruins of an ancient temple, the church was inaugurated in the early 11th century and probably owes its name to its donor.
The Byzantine church, supported on four columns with Roman capitals, within a four complex, cruciform type has a narthex on the west side and three apses on the east. Over time, the north section of the small church was built in memory of Saint Barbara. A little later, a porch and a three hipped roof were found in front of the two temples.
The exterior walls of Panagia Kapnikarea were created with traditional masonry and simple decor. The frescoes on the interior walls of the church date back to 1955 and bear the signature of the writer and painter Fotis Kontoglou.