Dafni Monastery, located on Athens Avenue in the Haidari forest, 11 km south of the center of Athens was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990. Founded in the 6th century on the ruins of the temple of Dafneus Apollo and therefore some of the Ionic columns of the ruined temple have been used in the new building.
It's famous mainly due to the impressive mosaics on the walls of the ledger, known for their excellent quality and construction technique. It is one one the most important Byzantine monuments not only in Athens, but also throughout Greece as the splendor of the mosaics in the church withstood the effects of the devastating earthquakes of 1889, 1894, 1981 and 1999.
The monastery is protected by towers with fortresses in a rectangular layout, while a relatively short distance from the sides of the fort are the ruins, which were probably the original cells. The central building of the monastery dates back to the 11th century, is octagonal in shape and most of the features are thought to have been the large dimensions of the dome.