Hadrian's Library, northwest of Acropolis, is one of the places in the Ancient Agora of Athens that is definitely worth a visit as it attracts the interest of all those visiting the archaeological site. This is a rectangular building with an open courtyard with stoas, library, reading rooms and lecture hall.
It was built in A.D. 132 and is named after the founder, Emperor Hadrian. It was destroyed in A.D. 267 by the Herulae and was repaired in A.D. 412 by the Roman Eparchus Herculius. In the 5th century an Early Christian Church building was constructed in the centre of the courtyard. When it was destroyed, it was replaced by a three-aisled (7th century) and a single-aisled (11th century) church. During the Turkish occupation, Hadrian's Library was the seat of Turk Voevode, while in 1835, in the place of Voevodalik, the barracks of King Otho were erected.