Neoria (the Italians called it arsenali which is why you will hear it referred to as arsenals) are the buildings built during the Venetian rule (1204-1669) for repairing ships of the Venetian fleet during winter and the building of new ships.
They are stone, vaulted, long narrow buildings with an arched facade measuring approximately 500 metres long, 9 metres wide and 10 metres high and communicated with one another through the arches. They were open to the sea on one side in order to easily salvage ships.
Today after the construction of the waterfront in the early 20th century, there is no sea access and the Neoria are only an attraction. Nine of the total 23 Neoria built are located on the east side of the Old Port, after the paved Akti Tombazi promenade. In the past, they were used as a christian school, a theater, public hospital and the town hall.
In recent years in Neoria square opened up bars, restaurants, taverns and cafes which impart their own vitality as does Kallergon Street behind it and the side street.