Under Turkish rule Splantzia was the Turkish quarter of the town, with its central Splanzia Square, today called 1821 Square. The district, known today under that name, is located in the north east of the Old Town, near Koum Kapi.
The church of Agios Nikolaos, distinguished by a peculiarity, that is that one side has the towering belfry of a christian church and the other a minaret, is a major attraction here. This particular church was part of the old Dominican monastery, which under Turkish rule was converted into the mosque of Sultan Abraham.
The church of Agios Nikolaos was transformed into a barracks for the Turks. It was later renamed Hugar Tzamisi (Mosque of the ruler) in which the sword of the Dervish was kept. The minaret added later is distinguished from the rest of those in the town due to the two circular balconies on top.
In the 18th century, the Turks built a subterranean fountain, divided into three rooms in the west part of the square.
1821 Square today is a lively part of town as cafes and small taverns have opened under the characteristic old tree.