Housed in the Palace of Archangel Michael and Saint George in the Old Town, it is the only museum in Greece devoted exclusively to the art and antiquities of the Far East and India.
Founded in 1928 as the Sino-Japanese Art Museum, it hosted Grigoris Manos' Sino-Japanese collection. Since then, it has become a major attraction for art lovers, and as a result, houses around 15,000 Asian art objects from private collections and donations of individual items. The Hatzivasiliou donation in 1973 added 400 works from India, Pakistan, Tibet, Siam and Southeast Asia changing the Sino-Japanese character, and consequently the name changed to the Museum of Asian Art.
The museum is fully accessible for individuals with disabilities and has a shop. It has earned global renown. Rare works are frequently exhibited art international exhibitions.