Dedicated to the patron saint of the city, Agios Minas church is located in the centre of Heraklion, and a service is held on 11th November, a public holiday in Heraklion.
One of the biggest and most impressive churches in the city and elsewhere, the church was founded on 25th March 1862 as a token of gratitude by the locals for the protection offered by the Saint during the Ottoman rule.
Athanasios Mousis, from Epirus, was the architect who designed the church and was also in charge of the construction of the church as well as of the barracks in Eleftherias square where the Court of Heraklion is nowadays.
One of the most impressive parts of the church is the temple, a fine example of wood-carving, gold-plated with stanchions among the icons, as well as the preserved icons, works by Cretan icon-painters dating back to the 18th century that stand out for their great artistic value.
Little Agios Minas church (as the locals call it), was built in 1735 and housed the metropolis of Crete after the Ottoman rule. It is also located on the paved square, on the left of the main church.