About 60km from the centre of Heraklion city, the Monastery of Panagia Kaliviani is located in the south part of the prefecture, near the Moires and Kalivia villages.
The building seen today was completed in 1924, on the ruins of the older monastery where the icon of Panagia (Virgin Mary) was found in 1873. The new church is three-aisled with aisles dedicated to the Nativity, Annunciation and Assumption of Virgin Mary.
From 1957 to 1958 Bishop Timotheos Papoutsakis founded an orphanage, old people's home, a housekeeping school, an institution for girls. a cutting and sewing school, an elementary school, a weaving workshop, etc., while in 1961 the monastery was turned into one or women.
During the period 961-1204 a monastery for men was in the same location, dedicated to Virgin Mary, which was destroyed, however, by the Turks in 17th century.