Near the village of Peratata, 10 km. from Argostoli, lies the monastery of Agios Andreas Milapidias, which has erected on the summit of a hill. This extremely old monastery was probably built in the 13th century and renovated in 1639, but most of it was destroyed in 1953. That was when the rare 16th-century murals were revealed.
Today, it operates as a women's convent. The right foot of Apostle Andreas is kept inside the temple and is put on display for pilgrimages by the faithful.
In a separate building the Ecclesiastical Byzantine Museum is housed with noteworthy exhibits. Wooden carved iconostasis, frescoes removed from churches devastated by earthquakes, embroideries and illustrations from the 13th to the 19th century capture the interest of visitors.