The churches, founded between the 17th and 18th century, are included in the most important sights of the town of Lefkada. The all share the same order -basilica without dome- with architecture influenced by the Venetian era, and illustration that follows the Ionian school and wood-carved iconostases (some even with gold leaf).
The most significant churches of the town include the church of Agios Spyridonas in the centre of the town, the church of Agios Nikolaos near the main square, the church of Agioi Anargyroi near Marka square, the church of the Pantokratoras and the one of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary at the central market of the town, the church of Panagia of Xenon near the municipal library, the church of Agios Dimitrios (you will find it in one of the alleys of the town) and the church of Agios Minas, Victor and Vikentios in the town market.
Among the churches located outside the town, do not forget to visit the church of Kimisis Yperagias Theotokou in Gira. The original church was a property of Aggelos Sikelianos’ ancestors, existed at that site before 1684 (built around 1460-1503) and is considered one of the oldest ones on the island. Important are also the church of Panagia of Vlachernon within the olive grove, built in 1740, the church of Agia Mavra, inside the eponymous castle, the church of Agia Kyriaki in the bay of Vlycho (it can be reached only by sea with a small boat) and the Fragkoklissia of Agioi Apostoloi of the 13th century near the village of Agios Petros.