Did You Know That...
- Lefkada, along with the island of Evia, are the only two Greek islands accessible by road?
- The island was named Lefkada (Lefkas) by Corinthian colonists in the 7th century BC.? Its previous name was Nirikos.
- Tourism development started during the 60s, when Aristotle Onassis bought the island of Scorpios, opposite Nydri, turning the spotlight on Lefkada?
- The Philharmonic Society of Lefkada is the second oldest music association in the country? Its foundation dates back to 1850.
- Due to its geographical position it is the only one of the Ionian Islands that was dominated by the Turks?
- Important representatives of culture and artists like Angelos Sikelianos (poet), Alexandros Panagoulis (politician- poet), Agni Mpaltsa (opera singer), etc. come from Lefkada?
- The marina of Lefkada is considered among the largest and most organized ones of the Mediterranean?
- Local lentils from Englouvi village are considered among the best ones in the whole country?