Built in 1209 by the Venetians, the castle of Methoni lies at the southernmost point of the Peloponnese and is one of the greatest fortifications in the Mediterranean, occupying an area of about 9.3 hectares.
The tower and is protected by the sea on its three sides, while the northern part, the one that looks to the land, is covered by a heavily fortified acropolis. Access to the castle can be gained via a stone bridge with 14 arches (the Venetians replaced the pre-existing wooden bridge with this one). The impressive castle gate is decorated with celebrated symbol of Venice, the lion of Saint Mark.
Among the castle's main attractions are the bastions Loredan and Bembo, parts of the Byzantine church of Agia Sophia, the church of Agia Sotiras (built in 1830 by the French Liberation Body and continues to operate today), the Morosini column, coats of arms, inscriptions as well as the relics of two Ottoman baths.
The paved road leading to the fortified islet Bourges, begins from the restored Gate of the Sea at the south end of the castle. The octagonal two-story building was built by the Venetians in 1500 as a defensive wall to protect the harbor. During the Ottoman occupation the tower functioned as a prison and place of executions.