At the top of Mt. Ithomi, between the villages of Mavromati and Valyra stands the Holy Monastery of Voulkanos which dates back to the 17th century. According to sources, both its foundation and name are probably attributed to a Byzantine emperor or the owner of the wider area.
A predecessor to this monastery was the Monastery of Panagia of Korifi or Panagia Epanokastritissa, also known as "Katholikon" which was rebuilt around 725 by iconodule Monks. This was also the Monastery where the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary was found. The monastery was abandoned in 1625 due to the unbearable cold during the winter months and a new location was sought after, namely the current position which is a little further down.
Some of the most significant artifacts that are kept at the monastery include the icon of the Virgin Mary with the inscription "Odigitria known in the mountains as Voulkanos", which is attributed to Apostle Loukas; various relics of Orthodox Saints; a library with old and new books, manuscripts, Turkish documents and 4 Sigillia of Patriarchs of Constantinople, which recognize the monastery's privileges.
The Monastery of Voulkanos is the oldest in the region. It has never ceased operation and it is the only monastery for men of the Holy Metropolis of Messinia.