The Metropolitan Church of the Presentation of Christ is located in the heart of Kalamata's historical center beneath Villehardouin's castle. This grand church was constructed on 25 January 1860 and was inaugurated on 19 August 1873 by the Archbishop of Messinia Prokopios Georgiadis.
The two bell towers and large domes, make it one of the most magnificent churches in the region. In its courtyard, in the place of the previous church that was destroyed in 1770 and exactly where the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary was found, stands an elevated stone cross that is position behind rails.
The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary referred to as "Panagia Ypapanti" protectoress and patron of Kalamata, which was found during the period of the Turkish occupation after a stable hand had seen a vision, is one of the most significant aspects of this church. Its restoration (the back was burnt while the front was completely unscathed) was carried out in 1839 by D.K. Vyzantios, a hagiographer and the author of Babylonia.