The Museum of Ancient Messene is located 500 meters away from the village center of Mavromati. It is housed in a two-story building that was built during 1968-1972 on land that D. Latzounis donated to the Archaeological Company.
Exhibited in the two-story building are findings that were discovered exclusively in the Messene excavations by Themistoklis Sofoulis, Georgios Economou and Anastasios Orlandos during the 1895-1975 period. The first floor is divided into three rooms and a gallery and the storage areas can be located on the ground floor.
Among the exhibits are the Doryforos of Polykleitos, Artemis Laphria, Hermes of the Andros-Farnese type, as well as fragments of sculptures by the Messenian Damophon. The Museum’s catalog includes more than 12,000 findings, however, given the building's restricted space, they are not all exhibited at the same time.
From 1987 to date, five remarkable marble statues have been added to the significant sculpture collection, which shows the significant role of Ancient Messini as a cultural and artistic center of the ancient Hellenistic world.