Anyone that has heard of Mani brings to mind the impressive and imposing tower houses that have been taken out of the area's noble past and constructed with the traditional stone from Mani. West (Messinian) Mani belongs to Messinia. There you will observe these buildings, which are a representation and reflection of each family's power and status in society.
The most impressive of these is the Tower of Kapetanakis (or Castle Kapetanakis), which belonged to the Kapetanakis family and is located in Haravgi village in Sotirianika. Built in the late 18th century, this is a three-story building with a fortified courtyard and more than 100 turrets. In fact, the same family created the Tower of Kapetanakis in the area of Myloi, in Mikra Mantinia. This four-story, square-shaped tower that has a height of 20m has been listed as a historical monument.
The Tower of Patriarcheas in the village Prosilio was the residence of the elder leader of the region and has been listed as one of the historical monuments in West Mani, while the Tower of Mourtzinos in Old Kardamyli, which belonged to the last captain of Mani and currently houses the Museum of Moutzinos has managed to salvage the tower house, the forge, the underground cistern, the olive mill and the church of Agios Spyridon at the entrance.
The Koumoundourou Tower (currently abandoned) in the area of Kampos, was the birthplace of Alexandros Koumoundoros (1815-1883), one of the much loved politician of modern Greece and grandchild of the tower's owner, the Bey of Mani, captain Koumoundouros.
Lastly, Ketseas Tower is located in the area of Kato Doloi. Today, only the basis of the Tower remains intact. Inside Ketseas Tower is the church of Agios Nikolaos that dates back to the late 18th century.