The church of Agios Spyridonas is located on the Kapodistriou back street in the Old Town of Nafplio. In the square named after the saint is the church which uncovered one of the darkest events in modern Greek history.
The assassination of the first governor of Greece, Ioannis Kapodistrias, who was shot on 27 September, 1831, took the bullet of Black Michael and dropped dead at the entrance to the church.
The church was built during the first Venetian rule. After suffering damage in 1686, it was completely rebuilt at the beginning of 1702 by the Greek Orthodox brotherhood from Nafplio. The post-Byzantine church is inscribed cross type with a large octagonal dome.