Filellinon Square is located in the port of Nafplio on the site where the Venetian bastion of Saint Teresa once stood (it was later known as the bastion of Moscow), which was later destroyed in 1866. It owes its name to the Philhellene monument which dominates its center. The monument was erected in 1903 in memory of the French fighters who fought and sacrificed their lives during the Greek Revolution for the liberation of the country from the Turks.
In the north east part of the square (on Vasileos Othonos Street), there is a beautiful 19th century neoclassical building (owned by the Iatrou family). The Town Hall of Nafplio was housed there until 1972 before moving to its current premises in Trion Ierarhon Square.