Built on a hill 216 metres high to the east of Nafplio town, just 2.5 Km from the center, Palamidi fort stands proud throughout the passing of time observing the goings on in the Argoliko capital since the Venetian era (built between 1687 and 1715). Its is a typical baroque fortress, consisting of 8 separate bastions and was named after the hero of the Trojan War, Palamidi, son of Nafplio.
Its construction began in 1687 by the Venetians, after the battle with the Ottomans to capture the hill. The original plans were Morosini's and were continued by Korner and Grimani to complete the second period of Venetian occupation by the Venetian General Intendant of the Augistino Sagredo Fleet (1711-1714).
The most central of the 8 bastions (each alone could have been used for defense or attack) is that of Agios Andreas, who also used it as a Garrison headquarters. Apart from its significant presence in battles, the fort was used as a prison until 1925 in which several political and criminal prisoners were held in its cells. Indeed, Theodoros Kolokotronis was jailed here in 1833 on charges of treason.
It is worth visiting the church of Agios Andreas at Palamidi (as Naflpio was freed on the saint's day), the dungeon where Kolokotroni was imprisoned and the lion of Agios Markos.
You can reach the castle by car in 5 minutes from the center of Nafplio or on foot by climbing the 999 steps located on the north west side of town, on the road to Acronafplia.