The Mycenaean Acropolis of Paros is situated within a 9 km distance from Parikia, just before the famous Kolymbithres beach and specifically at the hill of Koukounaries.
The settlement, which included a palace and was fortified with walls, was one of the most important settlements after 1200 BC. It was destroyed by fire following an attack and a siege and it was abandoned. Part of the settlement was inhabited again for a short period of time in 1100 BC.
A new city flourished during the Geometric period (10th-8th cent. BC) and a temple dedicated to goddess Athena was built.