Description

Windmills
Windmills
Windmills
Windmills

The hill of north-easterly Holy Abbey of Saint Ioannis the Theologian is dominated by three imposing traditional windmills, the cloth blades of which turn again after 50 years of disuse and abandonment.

The windmills, that in 1588 were dedicated to the Abbey, were abandoned in 1950 and fell into disuse after 400 and more years of serving the residents of island. The instigator of the restoration and their re-operation was the Swiss philhellinist banker Charles Pictet, co financed by the Stavros Niarchos institution and other private individuals which once again give life to the windmills of Patmos.

Today, only the northern mill can be visited (the one that it is on the left as you see them from the harbor of Skala) which has been restored completely. Of course, it has been equipped with old French grindstones by Ferte sous Jouarre in order function as a museum, where grains will be ground into biological flour, while the remaining two will in the future produce electric energy.

WORKING DAYS/HOURS
Daily: 09.30-21.00
PRICE
Admission: free

ALSO IN THIS AREA