A place standing out for the historic, architectural and religious importance, the Holy Monastery of Agios Lavrentios was the core around which Agios Lavrentios villages was created. The monastery is found in the eastern part of the village, in central Pelion, and dates back to the second half of the 12th century.
The original monastery was built by Benedictine monks coming from Amalfi. According to an inscription, the new monastery was created on the ruins of the old one in 1378, during the rule of Emperor Alexios Komninos III. Holy Lavrentios was the founder and it was devoted to archdeacon Saint Lavrentios who was a martyr in Rome in 258 AD.
Holy Lavrentios was a monk in Mount Athos and arrived in Pelion during the second half of the 14th century along with other monks, following the conflict between the Hesychasts and the Varlaamites, looking for a new monastery. There have been several renovations something that shows the influence of each era on the architecture of the monastery. The church is in Byzantine style with a dome, while there are murals at the sanctuary (the icon by Pagonis showing the birth of Christ is one of the most impressive ones) and the base of the marble temple.