Housed in a building of traditional architecture of Pelion -the famous Chatzianastasis mansion- the Theofilos Museum (also known as Kontou Residence), can be found in Anakasia. The building dating back to the first half of the 19th century was owned by the Chatzianastasis family, while in 1905 the miller Giannis Kontos from Ano Volos became the new owner.
Some changes took place, making the residence more modern. A point of reference are the creations by the popular folk painter Theofilos Hatzimihail, that produced a lot of his work in Pelion. The decoration of the main hall started in 1912 and a lot of Theofilos's creations can be found in there. Since 1965 it has been open to the public, as it now is under the Ministry of Culture.
The works of art by Theofilos in the hall can be categorised into: the lower zone ones where you will see various decorative paintings inspired from the animal and plant kingdom (pots with flowers, birds, hunting scenes) and the upper zone ones that consist of 14 large representations of the 1821 Greek Revolution.
The way the themes are presented as well as the way they are organised in units, is a classic sample showing that the artist had been influenced by Byzantine paintings.