Public Library of Milies in Magnesia"Psychis Akos", one of the oldest libraries in Greece, opened in 1814 by the advocates of Enlightenment, Anthimos Gazis, Grigorios Konstantas and Daniel Filippidis. It the beginning it was a school and it played a significant role during the 1821 Revolution, preserving a valuable archive of books, scientific instruments and maps.
During the revolution against the Turks, the school closed and reopened in 1834, with Grigorios Konstantas in charge. It permanently closed, however, in 1844 after a big effort to save the archive and put it in a designated place, preserving its value. This is how the famous Library of Milies "Psychis Akos" meaning "Soul Therapy" was created.
In a renovated two-floor building at the Milies square, there are more than 3,500 rare books and historic relics, the oldest one dating back to 1497. Among others, there are 18th century manuscripts, ledgers, code sheets, stamps, personal items belonging to the founders of the original school and the flag Gazis used to declare the revolution.