In the south part of the prefecture, about 37km from Rethymno city, you will come across the Monastery of Preveli in a beautiful location at the west side of Megalos Potamos.
The monastery complex is divided into two sections, Lower (Kato) Monastery of Prodromos and Rear (Piso) Monastery of Theologian, with a distance of 1,7km between them. The Monastery of Prodromos is deserted in contrast to the Rear Monastery of Theologian which is a monastery for men.
Built at an altitude of 170m –with an amazing view of the sea– the monastery of Theologian is in Π shape at the centre of which the two-aisle church is located dedicated to St. John the Theologian as well as to Evangelism of Virgin Mary. According to information the monastery was named after Akakios Prevelis, the man responsible for its restoration in 1670.
The monastery is inextricably connected to the battles for liberation in Crete, the most important being the 1821 Revolution in which the abbot of the monastery, Melhisedek Tsouderos, member of the Filiki Eteria (secret revolutionary organisation), took part. Preveli, however is known for the Holy Cross, a donation by Abbot Efrem Prevelis, who is considered a miracle maker.
The monastery is a museum with exhibits of holy relics and icons from the Rear and Lower Monastery as well as from the chapels of the monastery.