Description

St. Francis Church

St. Francis church, in the heart of Old Town at Mikrasiaton square, is one of the most important sights in Rethymno, as it used to be the main church of the Monastery of the Franciscan Order.

Built during the Venetian rule, it is a single-spaced, timber-roofed basilica that stands out for the impressively decorated door frame of Renaissance style.

During the Turkish occupation, the church was turned into a workhouse, and in 1796 a girls' school was built next to it. In 1890 a new building was raised as the old one had been destroyed, and it is a school to this day.

ALSO IN THIS AREA