The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes is housed in a former Hospital of the Knights of St. John in the Medieval Town. The construction of the building began in 1440 and was completed under the Grand Master d' Aubusson between 1476 and 1503.
This impressive Medieval Gothic building with Renaissance elements houses archaeological findings from various areas on Rhodes, as well as other nearby islands, which are exhibited in the 6 rooms on the first floor of the Archaeological Museum.
Among them you will notice small objects from the funerary of ancient Ialisos and ancient Kameirou from the geometric and classical periods, a collection of classical Hellenistic and Roman sculptures, floor mosaics from the Hellenistic era from Rhodes and the early Christian period from Karpathos, as well as tombstones from the period of the Knights with relief representations.
Among the most important exhibits in the museum are the colossal head of Helios, the statue of Aphrodite bathing, as well as the headstone of Kritous and Timaristas from the 5th century BC from Kameiro and the column of Kalliarista from Rhodes from the 4th century BC.