Did You Know That...
- Sifnos features 237 churches and monasteries in total?
- Kastro, the old capital of the island, has been inhabited incessantly since the 3rd millennium BC?
- The highest point of the island is the top of Prophitis Helias at an altitude of 682 meters?
- The mining activity in Sifnos dates back to the prehistoric times?
- An area of 20,000 sq.m. in total, from the mountain of Prophitis Helias till the west coast of the island, has been included in the European network of nature protection areas NATURA 2000?
- Panagia Chrissopigi, built in 1615, is the patron saint and protectoress of Sifnos?
- The Museum of Ecclesiastic Art operates at the Monastery of Panagia Vryssiani?
- In antiquity the island's towers used to communicate by fryktoria (a communication system in ancient Greece that used torches during the night)?
- Sifnos is the birthplace of Nikolaos Tselementes, our national chef and author of "Tselemente" in 1910, the first recipe book in the country?