According to Papadiamantis, "The castle tells the heart-breaking story of suffering and blood of five centuries." The Castle of Skiathos is located in the northern part of the island and was created around the mid-14th cent. after pirates’ raids in the ancient town of Skiathos. Since its establishment and until 1453, the Castle had been dominated by the Byzantines and later by the Venetians until 1538 and then Turkish domination took on it until 1821, again giving the sovereignty to the Venetians until 1830 when it was abandoned.
The locals moved the new city inside the castle, on a peninsula functioning as a natural fortress, reinforcing its security with cannons and embrasures. While living in the fortress was quite difficult, due to constant raids and the lack of space, and the houses being small and built very close to one another, more than 20 churches –and a mosque during Turkish domination– were built in it and there were water tanks as well, while the cemetery was located outside the city.
The communication of the castle to the mainland was made possible through a wooden, floating bridge, while above the gate on a terrace there was the characteristic scalding bowl. Today, there are only a few things preserved including a portion of the wall with the gate, the ruins of the mosque, four churches (among which the most important one being the Church of Christ, single-naved basilica and cathedral of the Byzantine city), the terrace with the scalding bowl, and some parts of the Turkish headquarters. There are still two water tanks and a cannon.