Did You Know That...
- The first church built on the island was Agia Triada, in 530 AD?
- The first castle of the island was built by the Gizi brothers and is known as Bourtzi?
- The pirate Barbarossa conquered the island after a 6-day siege in 1538?
- Skiathos’ Chora during WWII was completely destroyed by the German air force?
- In the house where Alexandros Papadiamantis was born and raised, a Museum is housed dedicated to the life and work of this great, Greek writer?
- The port of the town is divided in two by the small peninsula Bourtzi?
- Koukounaries Wetland is member of the Natura 2000 network and has been declared a Wildlife Refuge, a Monument of nature and a cradle of civilization?
- The first Greek flag with the white Cross at its center on a blue background was woven and raised at the Monastery of Evaggelistria?