Monastery of Panagia Kounistra

The Monastery of Panagia Eikonistria (also known as Kounistra) is located 13 km west of the town of Skiathos and just 2 km from the beautiful beach of Aselinos. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it owes its name to the icon of the Virgin that was miraculously found, around 1650, hanging from a pine.

Throughout the year the icon is kept in the church of the Holy Trinity in the town of Skiathos, while on the 21st of November each year it is transferred with all festivities in the monastery. The church is single-aisled domed basilica, built in the 17th century.