Description

Agion Panton Nunnery

Agion Panton Nunnery was built on the hill above Agia Marina bay. The present nunnery is is a modern day building as the original was demolished.

Around the small church of the nunnery, Sofronia, the wife of the Spetses captain, Ginis, founded the nunnery in the early 19th century (1830) which was called Agia Marina Nunnery. Sofronia was, indeed, the first abess. After some difficulties encountered over the years, it was decided to demolish and reconstruct the dome and other parts of the nunnery (2001).

One of the two graveyards on Spetses is located at Agion Panton Nunnery with graves of great figures who have remained in the island's history.

ALSO IN THIS AREA