A jewel and cultural emblem of Syros, the Apollo Theatre is one of the oldest closed theatres of modern times. It was created to fulfil the requirement of a location that had the capacity to host various events. Its construction was initiated and undertaken by Michalis Salvagos.
The commencement of the building of the theatre on the site of Theatrou Square, which is very close to the central Miaoulis Square, took place at the end of 1862 in accordance with the design of P. Sampo, who worked as an architect in the municipality of Syros. The theatre was inaugurated and officially opened on April 20, 1864, with the performance of Verdi's Rigoletto.
Some say that the Apollo Theatre is a miniature version of Milan's La Scala Theatre, however, this is not the case. The design of Apollo Theatre certainly has some Italian architectural influence, but the theatre's domed ceiling indicates that part of the design has followed French-style architecture.
Regardless of the standard of its architectural quality, the building was not characterized for its stability. In 1874 the building had already been repaired, but in the following years of 1881, 1809 and 1896, other reparations ensued.
Nowadays, the building's reparations are completed and up to date, and it hosts a myriad of significant cultural events.