The Church of Agios Nikolaos, named after the patron saint of Syros, is located in the heart of Ermoupoli just a few steps away from the central Miaouli Square. Bearing the title of the most famous Orthodox church on the island, it is adorned characteristically with a striking cross-domed basilica.
It is the third oldest church in Syros, coming after the Metropolitan Church of Metamorphosos (1824) and the Church of Koimiseos of Theotokou (1828). Founded in 1849 by Giorgos Metaxas and officially opened in 1870, it stands today as one of the most visited attractions of the island.
The impressive interior of the Church of Agiou Nikolaou is home to a temple made of Pentelic marble and inlaid with Italian marble, designed by Giorgos Vitalis, a native sculptor from the island of Tinos.