One of Greece's most impressive churches is located on Agiou Dimitriou Street. The church of Agios Dimitrios is dedicated to the patron saint of Thessaloniki and is a must see jewel in the city.
It was built after 313 as a small chapel. In 413 the prefect Leontios built a large basilica with three apses which was burned down between 626 and 634 and later the basilica with five apses, which still stands today, took its place. From 1493 to 1912, when it was restored for Christian Orthodox services, the church was converted into a mosque. In 1917 it was destroyed by fire and reopened in 1949 when its restoration was completed. Only a few relics of the sculptural and pictorial decoration (mosaics, wall paintings) survived the fire of 1917, which represent phases of its history.
Today, you can admire a magnificent temple, which is similar to that of Saint Sophia in Istanbul and is one of Greece's greatest Christian monuments. Its architecture brought to light the original type Hellenistic basilica with a wooden gable roof.