Enjoy one of the most traditional walks in Thessaloniki, and fit a walk around the original Ano Poli into your program.
This district was saved from the fire of 1917 and is located in the northernmost and highest part of the old city. It begins from the northeast side of Agiou Dimitriou Street and to the north reaches the Acropolis walls and to the west and east respectively, the Byzantine Walls which are preserved almost intact.
Every inch on this side of the city resembles the 1960s from the quaint buildings, to the roads and the overall atmosphere. The district has been characterized as traditional since 1979 and a walk around here evokes strong feelings and images.
On visiting Ano Poli, do not miss the opportunity to go to the Walls of the Acropolis and the Eptapyrgio, the Church of Agios David (Latomou Monastery), the Church of Agios Nikolaos Orfanos, Taxiarchon Church, Vlatadon Monastery, Agia Ekaterini Church, the Church of the Prophet Ilias, the Byzantine bath in Crispou Square and Alatza Imaret Mosque on Kassandrou Street.